Saturday, October 1, 2011

next stop: NICU day1-2

Wow, what a 24 hours it truly has been. Yesterday morning I went in for my ultrasound and the flow had gotten worse, which typically means it is on its way to reversing flow back in the placenta, something that we did not want to happen.
After talking to the perinatologist, his concerns was how much longer she would make it. Along with no flow, her montiorings were showing more and more dips in her heart rate he felt like it  could happen at any time. When I shared with him that I did not want to risk 1) having a still birth and 2) not wanting to do an emergency c-section if possible, he said he felt like maybe we should just go ahead and deliver. He was going to consult w/ my OBGYN and let me know.
The next thing I knew the doctor was in my room, I was signing consent forms and the prep started.It was such a whirlwind it seems like it was forever ago.
At 1:37 pm on 9/30/2011 Avery Ruth Eller weighed in at 1.2 lbs (although we were later told they weighed her w/ her hat on so that probably spiked her weight some) and was 11 inches long, crying, and being all sorts of feisty. . 1.2 pounds of complete perfection. I could see bits and pieces of her while the NICU team worked on her. They let Bill take pictures and then they all left to take her to the NICU. Bill was able to go with them during the process which was awesome! I felt comfort in knowing her daddy would be there while they did their business.
I was stitched up with the most perfect little scar (I requested a 6 pack of abs while they were already working on stuff but no such luck :)) . According to the nurses, my uterus was small and the placenta that was not functioning was only the size of a palm of the hand.
I spent 2 hours in recovery and finally was able to go meet Avery. She was so tiny but so active. It was the best moment of my life.
We've been able to make trips up whenever we want. Avery has already met all her grandparents (the timing was great b/c my parents just happened to be in town). Her reports are FANTASTIC.  She is breathing on her own w/ minimal help from the respirator to just open her lungs and give her some rest when needed. Her vitals and blood draws are good. She has been opening and closing her eyes. Her nurse, Rob, said she was an awesome baby and he has good feelings about her prognosis. He said we just have to remember she is 27 week old baby in the body the size of a 22 weeker, but that in the world of NICU size is an important as age.  We are fully aware that there will most like be some complications due to her size and gestational age, but I am over the moon elated that at the end of the day, we are giving her every chance to thrive.
As for mommy, I am feeling great. Granted I am still on meds so that helps. I finally got a decent nights sleep last night, my blood pressure is back to normal, and I have already been attempting to pump my breast milk. They warn me it may take awhile for it to come in, but I want to be prepared in every way so Avery can get the nutrients she'll need.
The next 4 months will be long. As anxious as I am to get home, I know leaving without Avery will be extremely emotional and difficult, but she will be in good hands and we will come see her whenever we can.
Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts and prayers. 5 weeks ago when there seemed to be no hope, we pushed on and here she is!
I'm including some pictures of her. She looks like her daddy right now
 Right after she was born.
 Our first meeting
 Does this diaper make me look fat?
Leg kicks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment