Sunday, October 2, 2011

day 3.

Avery is on her 3rd day in the NICU and has been doing incredibly awesome as far as a micro preemie goes.  She continues to take the majority of her own breathes, although they did increase her assistance today as she starts to tire out from doing all the work on her own. 
During our morning visit we were told that she would be getting a blood transfusion today. Preemies sometimes have a difficult time keeping up w/ making enough blood to replace what they take out to run tests.  She was looking a little pale this morning and the NICU doc said he felt like it would be best to do it now. She seems to have tolerated it well and is now a pretty shade of red.
They also detected a minor murmur in her heart this morning. We had been told this may happen as it is very common in preemie babies due to a valve not closing all the way. They are going to continue to monitor it and it is possible it will close on its own. If not they will utilize some meds and worse case scenario, do a bedside procedure where they go in through the side of her chest and close it for her.  So for now we'll just keep an eye on it
Avery also had her first latte today in the form of a caffeine drip. This helps stimulate some stuff that I can't exactly remember (blame it on the meds) but the image of her sipping on a foamy latte cracks me up. Someday :)
The best part of my day was changing her diaper! I know that wouldn't be most parents favorite thing, but Avery HATES a wet diaper, so it was really comforting to be able to calm her down and be a little more hands on with my baby girl. I had have the nurse reassure me that I wouldn't break her and sure enough I didn't!! It was amazing.
I've been tired, but that's the life of parenting, right. I'm able to get around on my own and am meeting all the stages of recovery they hope to see which means I will most likely be going home at some point on Monday.
3 days down on this road to bringing Avery home. In the meantime we'll just keep making as many of our visits as we can and giving her as much love as possible.

 I put that diaper on :)

 She's angry about something.
Waving to the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment