Saturday, October 15, 2011

a special day

Avery is now 2 weeks and 1 day old and acting like a much bigger and more mature baby than she is. She has had a fantastic week. Her feeds are all the way up to 6 ml every 3 hours. That's over 1 teaspoon :) Woohoo. During our conversation w/ the doctor today, she let us know they are going to hold her feeds at 6 ml for awhile and increase her IV nutrition to see if they can get her to grow since they can give her higher caloric intake through her IV than they can through breast milk (which only gives her like 20 calories).  Growing such a small baby is a true science with lots of potential side effects, so we are completely trusting them to do what is best to put some meat on her bones.
Because her breathing is doing going so well, they are giving her 2 three hour breaks from the cpap and putting her on the high pressure cannula. The cannula is inserted only in her nostrils and doesn't need a whole mask outfit. The best part of this is we get a chance to see her pretty little face and all the hair on her head.
Today was special because it was Bill's first time holding Avery. It was one of those moments I will never forget. It is obvious she knows her daddy and loves him. When we arrived for her care, her nurse said she was being all sorts of crazy and by the time she was placed on Bill's chest she was calm and peaceful. She was wide awake and just staring at him. Ah, just the thought of it gives me chills. Eventually she settled in to a nice nap and they spent a good 45 minutes together. When the nurse went to put her back in her isolet they opened Bill's gown and Avery was completely molded on to his chest. I couldn't get my camera on fast enough to get a picture, but it was adorable. The nurse put her back in the bed and she laid there in a complete comatose state. The nurse said that if she keeps doing this well, she thinks that soon we will be able to do multiple holds in one day! I don't know how we managed to go from once a week, to every few days to hopefully soon every day and then multiple times a day. We are truly blessed to be this lucky and thank God everyday for blessing us with the experience we've had.
I'm in love with our little family and wish I could just give her big kisses all over her adorable face! I know that time will come soon and until then we will take it one day at a time. 
Today is a special day in another way. It is National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day and a day we remember my nephew Tyson.  Tyson has always had a special place in all of our hearts and I think about him not just on this day. Seven weeks ago when we were told that Avery's chance of survival was not good, my sister Erin told me she asked Tyson to watch over Avery and be her guardian angel through the process as he has been watching over her family since his passing. I always think of Tyson and his special place in our family, but today I remember him in a new special way as I believe he watched over Avery and had a part in giving her a chance in a world that he never had.  Thank you Tyson and thank you LaPier family for sharing your special angel with us. I look forward to the day when I can share the special connection she has with her cousin.
 My daddy says I look good in this color
Hanging with the little lady isolet side 

I'm a hand a talker
Staring at my daddy cause I love him so.  
Big beautiful eyes
 Obviously I get good looks from my handsome dad!
I love some cannula time!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the update Kelli! I am thinking about you 3 every day. Please keep writing. It is a great way to help people remember the little things in life. I sure know I have. Love you all:) - Lindsey and Paisley:)

    ReplyDelete