Sunday, October 16, 2011

today.

Today was a good, check that, great day for Avery and Bill and I.  Thinking since Bill got to hold her yesterday that it might be at least a few days until we could kangaroo with her, I was surprised when her nurse Debbie asked us at which care we would like to hold again. Of course I said, now! And so we cuddled, for over an hour. And she did fabulous and slept the next 6 hours in the same position the nurse put her back in the isolet.
Our night care was filled with more surprises. Her nurse Lois took her measurements and Avery is now 11 3/4 inches long (a 3/4 in growth since birth) and 1 lb 7 ounces. She is 1 ounce away from a pound and a half and every ounce fills her out more and more. I love seeing her change right before our eyes. I suppose IF a parent has to be put in this kind of situation, it is amazing to see the transformation that would be taking place in the uterus happen out in the world.
Lois asked us if we had a chance to give her kisses yet, something I just blogged about wanting SO badly to do just yesterday. She told us that foreheads are perfect for kisses, so both Bill and I got to give her some loving. It was so sweet and special and something I would tell every parent to never take for granted. It has taken 16 days for me to be able to give my little lady her first kiss and I swear I can already picture the day when she will be telling me enough is enough because I will be making up for all those lost kisses and loves that we couldn't give her in the first few weeks of her life. 
Since Avery is such a superstar, Lois let Bill hold again tonight. Two times in one day! A-Ma-Zing! She told us that in some countries they do kangaroo care 24/7. I asked her where do I sign up because seriously we can't get enough of her. During her hold we witnessed our first A&B (apnea and bradycardia). Basically it means she stops breathing and therefore her heart rate decels significantly. By looking at the charts next to her isolet, I know she has had a handful of A&B's, but never when we are around. Surprisingly I didn't fall over in panic like I had expected to because she was in her daddy's arm and I knew she would be just fine. Sure enough she recovered like a champ. The nurse said it may have been a result of her getting her feeds at the same time as her hold and having some reflux or something. She said they expect babies her size to have A&B's and as long as she recovers it will be ok. So now that I've witnessed one and gotten through it, she can go ahead and just have them when I'm not around again.
Other than that, nothing is changing. The doctor is letting her stay on her cannula now for up to 6 hours a shift as long as she tolerates it and is still pumping her full of calories in a very thoughtful way which Avery seems to be tolerating just fine. So here's hoping that this week ahead is just as wonderful as the past was!
So sweet

Cuddle time w/ mommy

Sleeping beauty 




First kisses <3



No comments:

Post a Comment