Sunday, February 5, 2012

lasik eye surgery

No not for Avery. For me. I am considered 'legally blind' when I don't have some sort of corrective lens on. And therefore I have developed this really bad habit of wearing my glasses while I sleep. Weird, I know. Uncomfortable, yes.  Necessary, I think so.
You see it all started when I was moved to the Labor and Delivery floor during my bed rest stay.Ok, really it started all the way back in 3rd grade when I got my first pair of glasses. I should have known after this picture, that lasik was going to be necessary:
I don't know what's worse, the glasses or that hair. 
Back to my L&D stay...I was moved up there for the purpose of being monitored 100% of the time instead of just twice a day.  Well the thing with being monitored all the time is they catch everything. And that meant several times in the middle of the night a nurse would rush in to my room and tell me I need to switch sides, adjust my position, shake things up a bit to see if they could get Avery's heart beat up again. Every time her heart dropped like that, mine stopped. So I started sleeping in my glasses so that when they rushed in I didn't have to scramble around to try and find my glasses to see what was going on.
And now that Avery is home I find myself waking up at some point almost every night wearing my glasses. You see it is much easier for me to wake up and turn over and check on her if I don't have to first put my glasses on.  And I check on her a million times a night. I sometimes joke that I check to see if she is breathing. Jokes on me cause I do.  I watched her stop breathing far to many times out of no where while in the NICU to feel completely comfortable that she has completely grown out of it.  I know eventually we will and already the frequency of my night checks has decreased, but it would be so much more convenient, comfortable and normal if I just got the lasik surgery and tossed the glasses for good.
Unfortunately our million dollar miracle baby doesn't leave much room for optional eye procedures, but some day it'll be super awesome to know what it is like to wake up in the middle of the night and just be able to see. At that point I will probably be checking to make sure Avery isn't sneaking back in to her room after a long night out. Oh how things will change :)
This was not a staged picture. This was sneakily taken this morning by  Bill. 



No comments:

Post a Comment