Thursday, February 2, 2012

hello 7 pounds

Avery had her 4 month check up at the pediatricians' office today.  Of course we were dying to know how much she weighed. It is such a change going from weighing her every night, celebrating every ounce, to only getting weighed once or twice a month.
The last time she was weighed was back in the middle of January when the nurse made a home visit to give Avery her Synagis shot (for RSV).  At that point she weighed 6lbs 14 ounces. Today she weighed in at a whopping 7 lbs 14 ounces! Wowzers. We are knocking on the door of 8 lbs. She is exactly 7 times her birth weight at this point. 7 times! It takes most babies years to gain 7 times their birth weight. And that doesn't take in to consideration the fact that even though she was born at 1lb 2 ounces, ultimately she dropped all the way down to 14 ounces. I try not to think about that because the thought of my baby weighing less than a pound still  makes me sick to my stomach.
She's also grown a whole inch since her last appointment. Her doctor said she is very pleased with her progress. Phew. Huge relief. I have been really nervous that she would thrive at home. And because we've been dealing with some reflux issues I always wondered if she was keeping enough down to make her weight go up. She was prescribed something to hopefully help with the relux. So hopefully we'll see soon if it works.
The doctor was very patient and wonderful about answering my list full of questions I had complied since our last visit. I love her doctor. We are working on getting some things figured out and she is very quick and proactive at making phone calls and getting things done.
One of my concerns came about a few weeks ago when I was changing Avery's blow out diaper. I turned her over to clean up her back when I noticed what looked like a hole in the top of her bum crack. I had never seen anything like it, so of course I googled it. It is called a Sacral Dimple. The good news is that it is closed at the bottom. The bad news is that because of the size of it, it could be a sign of some issues with the spine. Since Avery was already going in next week for a follow up ultrasound of her kidney stones, the doctor went ahead and ordered an ultrasound for her lower spine as well. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing but a cute dimple that only myself, Bill, her doctor and her future husband will ever see. I'll of course share the results next week after we hear back from the doctor.
Ok I'm going to go snuggle with my little lady who isn't feeling well after all her shots today. A little mommy med will make it all better...
The look on her face in this picture cracks me up. 
Getting my girly girl on. 
It's almost like we have twins. 


No comments:

Post a Comment