Sunday, January 1, 2012

we made it!

Happy 2012 everyone!
Wow, what a year 2011 was  for the Eller family. I have never taken the time to truly reflect on a year in whole as much as I have as this year came to an end. And I can honestly say I have never been so excited to start off a new year. For those who may not have heard, Avery came home today! I still can't believe it. Blogging is SO much cooler when I can just look down and stare at her. She's so incredibly stareable. It was a completely surreal moment when the doctor came in and told us she had signed the discharge orders. We have waited for those words for 95 long days.  We had an inkling that it may happen today, but had also been told in the past we were close only to see the day come and pass.  The overwhelming amount of emotions I have built up leading to this moment are overwhelming me. Several times today I have looked at Avery, in our house, sans monitors and broke down in to tears. Out of joy. No more tears of frustration, anxiety, and guilt. Pure tears of joy! Our family is whole.
The whole process started yesterday afternoon when we were able to room in at the hospital. We spent most of the afternoon and all night completely responsible for Avery. No nurses in the room (although still available to assist if necessary). No monitors. No other babies. Avery thrived in the environment. She was so calm, ate her feeds like a champ, and missed the part where we told her it was a slumber party. She must have heard party and boy did she turn in on all night long. :)
When they weighed her last night and she gained weight we knew there was a pretty good chance they'd let her come home today.  Sure enough they did!
 I feel pretty good about my first day as a full time mom at home. I got maybe 2 hours of sleep last night while rooming in but somehow managed today to bring a baby home, make lunch and dinner, do a load of laundry and go to the store. Oh and make sure she is taken care of too And I have loved every second of it!
This whole blog was based on this exact moment. I knew this experience would be like a long road trip, in the backseat, of a compact car, with 2 other people and you're sitting in the middle.  Yep, it was pretty much exactly like that. So I'm happy to say that we no longer have to wait, because we have reached our destination and now the real vacation begins!

I was so excited this was the only picture I got of us leaving the hospital! 

Yep, I sat in the backseat. I still check to make sure she's breathing every 3 seconds :)

Hmm, I wonder how this relationship will go over
So cute!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment