Thursday, November 24, 2011

thankful.

This year I truly have a full list of things to be thankful for.

My husband
Sometimes I think it is easy to forget that Bill and I are still sort of newlyweds. I got pregnant just a few weeks after we got married and it wasn't long after that our lives sort of went in a whirlwind.  But I must say that this year I have had TWO best days of my life and the day I married Bill was one of them.  I still remember that day so clearly. It was everything I have ever imagined it would be. There was a lot of love that day and I knew I had made the best decision of my life.
Bill is the most supportive and wonderful husband for me. Having him by my side makes the most difficult days easier to get through. He makes me laugh when humor seems to not exist.  And he happens to be the most wonderful, proud, loving daddy ever.



Avery Ruth
Clearly Avery's entrance in to our lives did not go according to our 'plan.' I use that term lightly because I never really had a chance to put a 'plan' together, but I can say without hesitation that the way things went would not have been part of it. But alas that is behind us and we are moving forward and creating a new plan.
At 1 pounds 2 ounces it is impossible to think how much love you could have for such a micro being. I was instantly in love. She was perfect to me and I knew our lives would never be the same.
Leading up to Avery's birth we weren't given a whole lot of hope medically speaking. But we had other plans and so did she and boy has she proven every doctor wrong. She has found more strength than I could ever imagine someone her size having. She has progressed without any of the major micro preemie devestations that you are prepared for. I am thankful we have been so lucky to have had the experience we have had over the past 56 days since Avery came in to the world, a little early but with a lot of fight. I am thankful when I watch other parents' experience mirror the one we expected to have that we have not had to have those struggles. I am forever thankful that our beautiful daughter has found it somewhere inside her and from the strength of others to grow into a perfect 3 pound 13 ounce chubster.
That love I felt the day she was born has multiplied indefinitely. I am SO thankful for Avery.

Avery's 1st Thanksgiving.

Family
I love my family. They have always been there for me when I needed them the most. My sisters are some of my best friends ever and I know that I can always call on them for anything. My parents are amazing examples of what I want both as a mother to Avery and in my relationship with Bill.  I miss my family SO much everyday, but especially around the holidays.  I am so thankful to be blessed with the family I have.




Friends
I've always thought I had the best group of friends. I have friends from different times in my life. They live near and far. Some I see more often than others. Some I don't talk to often but when we do it is like we saw each other yesterday.
One great thing about getting married this year was the chance to bring all those friend groups together to celebrate such an important day in your life. It wouldn't have been the same without them there. Some of my favorite memories from that day include my girls.
And I must say that my friends have given me strength this year that I didn't even know I had. When my going got tough my girls got going. They were so supportive with their visits, calls, gifts, texts, cards and love.
I wish we all lived in the same town but knowing I have friends near and far that will always have my back is amazing. I'm so thankful for ALL my friends. (The pictures below are not inclusive of ALL the people I am talking about. Just a disclaimer so there are no hurt feelings)







Deaconess Medical Staff
Without the staff at Deaconess we would not be where we are today. The doctor I absolutely hated and despised the day he broke the news to us about Avery in such a cold way, I now hold very dear in my heart. When I randomly see him around the hospital, I get very emotional. He ended up being one of the biggest supporters on Team Avery. He would high five me when days were good, and would strategize when they got bad.  He let me feel like I had some say in my treatment and when I felt like we had pushed things far enough, he listened and agreed.  He still goes in to check on Avery and see how she is doing. I hope he knows that he played a big roll in that.
The nurses at Deaconess are amazing. When I was admitted they helped get me through the days those long 3 weeks. They gave me backrubs when I didn't even ask. They listened and supported me when I came back from ultrasounds in tears with bad news and had no one else around. They encouraged me and reminded me that doctors aren't in the business to give hope.
And now the NICU nurses are Avery's pseudo moms-away from-mom.  They are so good with her and care for her. They have played a direct hand in getting her to where she is today. They are smart and calm. They continuously check in with us and help us feel like we know what we are doing and that we play a big roll in Avery's care there too. They help break down the big medical talk in to words we understand.
It is not just the nurses in the NICU. The whole staff is amazing.Somedays I feel like the staff at Deaconess belongs under my friend/family category.  I see them more than I do than anyone else besides Bill. I am SO thankful we ended up at Deaconess. They will always be an important part of our lives.

Work 
I know I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am so blessed to work for such a wonderful organization for the past 3.5 years.  I have been lucky to work closely with more than one unit.  I have become close friends with coworkers. Not only do we do work that makes me feel good at the end of the day, but we have fun doing it. 

I have truly been blessed in my life, especially this past year.  I have found strength in myself that I never would have guessed I had but am glad I know exists. I hope the next years bring me as much joy as this year has. Thank you to everyone who has played a roll in this past year!

No comments:

Post a Comment