Monday, April 23, 2012

it's not all in a name

Yea! It the March for Babies week. I'm so excited for Saturday; the walk, the cause, my family, friends. And as a team we've already raised over $1,100! Ooh, I hope this week flies by...
Back when I decided to put together a team for the March for Babies, we had just brought Avery home from the hospital. I decided putting the team together would help channel some 'weird' energy I was harvesting. Hard to explain, but I needed to do something productive with it. Well needless to say I had Avery on the brain, hence the Team Avery Ruth name. 
The March of Dimes mission statement says "We help moms have full-term pregnancies and research the problems that threaten the health of babies." It doesn't limit it to just premature babies, although that generally seems to be the focus. That being said I just wanted to share with you another very important member of our team. Our honorary member who won't be with us in person, but whose spirit will definitely be strong that day.
Nearly 7 years ago my sister gave birth to a beautiful, full term baby boy.  I will let you read her full story below:

On May 31st of 2005 my husband and I went to the Labor and Delivery to be induced with our second child, a little boy.  I was 39 weeks 4 days into a 40-week gestation period.  I was a pre-admit so they took me directly to my room and began to hook me up to the monitors.  When the fetal heart monitor was placed on my stomach, instead of the soft swooshing of my baby’s heart, there was silence.  The nurse stayed calm and tried multiple times to locate our baby with no success.  They called for an ultrasound and after what felt like a lifetime, the nurse told us our son had passed away.  I gave birth seven hours later to a 6 pound 2 ounce, 20 inch beautiful boy and we named him Tyson John LaPier.  I held him in my arms for as long as I could; knowing that this would be my last chance of holding his little hands and stroking his dark curly hair.  We took pictures and family members held him for the first and last time.  He was perfect.  An umbilical cord wrapped around his neck and the pressure of his own body on that cord had taken his short life the night before he was to be born.  The life that he had has touched so many people in such a huge way.  He had a childcare facility named after him to help young children grow and develop; he inspired legislation changes in Montana to provide birth certificates to stillborn babies and has brought our family closer together than ever before.  Some people who live for a hundred years will never accomplish some of the things Tyson and his memory have.  
 So even though the we are calling ourselves Team Avery Ruth on Saturday we are walking for ALL babies. Our team wants all pregnancies to have the chance to lead to full term and healthy babies. For all families to realize the joy of going to the hospital, welcoming their baby to the world and leaving a few days later as a family.  We are walking so in the future fewer families have to experience the pain, worry, grief, loss, and fear that we have.
Thank you LaPier family for being part of our team and sharing Tyson with us. You strength was an inspiration and wonderful example for me during tough times!

There is still time to donate or join our team!
www.marchforbabies.org/teamaveryruth

No comments:

Post a Comment